I've moved! This page should automatically redirect in 5 seconds, but if it doesn't, then click here.

11.03.2009

november brings good tidings.






i'd like to wipe october from my slate.

start again.

fresh.

so november first came.

sunday morning.

my friend kate and i ventured to the east side to catch the nyc marathon.

if ever you find yourself in the city on the day of this gorgeous event, you must watch--participate--partake in some way.

there's nothing quite like it. 

people. everywhere. from all over. doing something so unbelievably difficult and miraculous. each with a story. running together. a moving quilt covering the blacktop streets. an endless stream of wordless music as their feet meet the pavement.

kate and i were walking across 62nd street towards first avenue, approaching the party, when we saw runners. moving at a speed you can't even imagine. whoosh. whoosh. woosh. followed quickly by a news camera on a dolly. whoosh. and we realized, oh that's the lead pack. we just saw the very front-runners. live and in person. i took this as a very good omen for the month. had we arrived a minute sooner we would have been inside and walking up the stairs and missed their passing. a minute later and we wouldn't have had any idea. our timing was... fortuitous. 

a tiding of all the good things to come. i think.

i hope. 

12 comments:

Marisa said...

"a moving quilt covering the blacktop streets. an endless stream of wordless music as their feet meet the pavement."

so beautiful meg...

i will say it again, you inspire me

Laura C said...

I like this, taking little bits of the magic in life and seeing them as reminders that life can be really really good.

ruthpclark said...

What a great word: fortuitous. I like it!

Carrie said...

I hope it's a good sign for this next month for you as well. :) It certainly seems like one.

AbbieBabble said...

DEFINITELY a good omen for the month.
I was so excited when I found out that an American won this year!

Emily said...

Here's to November being far superior to October!! I am rooting for it! Happy Novembering!

Fairfield said...

I saw the last runners. I hope that's not a bad sign, lol. People were still cheering them on. And a woman was handing out oranges as they passed by. There was a girl, about our age, who was talking on her cellphone and walking the marathon. People cheered her on anyways. And a man, in his late 70's, who was wearing a shirt that said "older, wiser, sexier" and he was half running, half dancing- blowing kisses to the crowd.

I was in bed all morning and I was wondering what the cheering outside was. I thought I might have been fever hallucinating it. But nope. The NYC Marathon was happening right on my corner. Cheers!

Julie Wilding said...

Amen to November for new beginnings. It's promising.

Unknown said...

what a great perspective, girl! i think of marathon runners and think sweat and tears and shaky muscles. you saw beauty and promise - there is no way you can have a bad month if you keep that outlook!!

Aline said...

ooooooooh, absolutely a good sign!

I would very much like to participate in such an event one day.

Alexandra said...

"moving quilt over blacktop" is incredible.

You read my mind- I want to run this next year if my knees hold up!!! xoxo

ps loving the lipstick! gooorgeous.

Spardha Malik said...

i think the mass adreline rush kinda brings a warm happy feeling to everybody even remotely a part!!

I don't think i could ever partcipate.. but watching itself is such a rush.

Here's to a great november.
I love the baseball post too..(i watched 'a great catch' just days back!! kinda relate to ur euphoria :))