I've moved! This page should automatically redirect in 5 seconds, but if it doesn't, then click here.

3.29.2013

the next bit of the story.


Today is my father's last day of work. 

31 years at the same company. 

Today he "retires"...whatever that means, which I'm not sure any of us know beyond him not going into work every day. 

It's a big deal.

My dad's a big deal.

And I'm really proud of him. 

Because I think, he thinks, we don't get just how hard he worked and just how much he sacrificed and how much it cost so that each person in our family could do and be anything

And you know, I'll probably never fully get it. 

But the reason I want--with every bone in my body--to one day make my father as absolutely proud as I can, is because he worked tirelessly so that the word possibility might always have and "endless" before it. 

And I can't think of a more meaningful gift for a parent to give his child. 

17 comments:

Jenna | The Eighty Twenty said...

My first thought is just how much you resemble your father! So good looking, and my second thought it how important he must be to you to write about him this way.

*cho said...

Your words are sincere and full of wisdom. It meant a lot to me to read this. Today, my father is in surgery to hopefully remove a cancerous brain tumor. I'm waiting around anxiously to hear if it all went alright. Can't concentrate on work until I know for sure. It was nice to see your post about your father, too.

Kayla said...

As a girl without a Dad in her life reading this made me so grateful for my guy and I hope our daughter feels this loving towards him some day.

Memoirs & Mochas

meg fee said...

@*cho: my thoughts are with you and your dad. xo

Hayley said...

gosh, do you two smile the same. :-)

Sam | ashore said...

god I love a man in cable knit and a shirt collar. dads included. dads especially.

Shawnee said...

what a special post. heartwarming. and you look a lot like your dad! (which you probably get a lot, as do i ;) xoxo

Dee Paulino said...

This is beautiful!

JCP Eats, www.jcpeats.com said...

you look so much like your father!

happy retirement to him! I hope he has many fun-filled years to come!

and i'm sure you make him proud!

Clio said...

He looks so very like you in that picture. Your smiles are the same.

ErinMY said...

Wow! You look so much like your dad. Congrats to him! What a well-deserved retirement after 31 years.

Emme said...

this is beautiful. congratulations to your dad, what a trooper! and, yes, you totally look like him!!

alice {sweet dreamer} said...

This is so beautiful. My dad is also retiring after nearly 30 years in the fire brigade and I'm so proud of him and grateful for the work he did, it's impossible to put into words. But you did it nicely!

Moonboots said...

He is handsome and you have the same smile.

Does he read your blog? He would be proud of your writing.

Does he write?

Missy said...

Wow, how handsome! He does look like you. What a wonderful post, I'm having one of those melancholy mommy days where I just want to leave work and be with my son. This was a nice reminder of what I'm working for.

AshCall said...

I love this post and picture. I've been thinking a lot about fathers in general lately. They do more than they can ever know.

Anonymous said...

mazal tov to your dad, lovely!