I've moved! This page should automatically redirect in 5 seconds, but if it doesn't, then click here.

3.28.2013

ON PASSING FUNKS AND SPILT COFFEE.

























Mostly I don't know how it happens.

How a passing funk just passes.

But it does.

I think it has something to do with the weather.

And a visiting girlfriend who is so damn smart that you watch her and think yes--that is a game I'd like to play and suddenly, over the course of a day, your vocabulary is elevated and you find your mind is pliable--hell, it likes to be stretched.

And I think it has to do with reading books in which the heroine is ballsy and adventurous and unyielding in her desire to just live. life. better. (which really means living. life. fuller).

I think it has to do with live music. And good food. And nights out. And rooftop bars. And making eyes with good looking men.

And it passes.

Mostly, it probably has to do with the passing of time. And just seeing it out.

Yesterday I woke early. Showered. Put on makeup. Dressed myself in some of my better clothes. I was meeting one of my dearest friends at Vera Wang so that she might try on wedding dresses. And I thought: when one goes to Vera Wang, one must dress for the occasion.

And as I headed to the subway, coffee in hand, I caught a glimpse of my reflection and thought, not so bad today. not. so. bad.

It was at Broadway-Lafayette, transferring to the 6 train, that disaster struck. The train was already in the station as I got off the escalator and I rushed around the corner to beat the closing doors. I stuck my elbow in such a way as to prop the doors open. It was a smooth move--I felt good about it. The doors would open all the way, I'd walk in, they'd close, and that'd be that.

But they didn't open all the way. And this caught me off guard.

Have you ever seen someone's coffee shoot three feet into the air (not the cup, just the coffee)? Well...let me tell you, it's something to behold. It happens when they squeeze the coffee cup and the lid shoots off and...think of trying to crush a beer can--that's sort of what happened to my cardboard cup.

Except that there was no trying. It simply happened.

The coffee wasn't hot. So at least there was that. But some of it landed on a man (though not much, and he was wearing a black coat, so... small miracles). Most of it landed on the floor. And on me.

Sticky hands.

I was so embarrassed I got off at the next station and waited for the next train--which is what I should have done in the first place. YES. I SEE THE IRONY IN THAT.

New York has a way of putting you in your place. The moment you get too comfortable or too cocky the 6 train comes along and absolutely schools you. Or you run into that person you never wanted to see again and you think, blerg, this city is too small.

This is all to say, I walked into Vera Wang reeking of spilt coffee and with a trench missing a button (I'd like to blame the button on the train debacle, but I've needed to sew that button on for months now, which makes it all the more embarrassing--I can hear my mother rolling her eyes all the way from Texas). But it's so who I am--mostly smoke and mirrors where looking-pulled-together is concerned. Let's be honest, I'm the gal that'll don fake-eyelashes and worry that when at the end of the night the man kisses me they'll come right off, right on his cheek (it has yet to happen, but it's just a matter of time). In fact I'm waiting to see that scene in some rom-com (intellectual property claim).

Today Joy and I are off to Monique Lhuillier. And I'm hoping to walk in with a little more grace. I'm sipping my coffee now, and will wait for the 6, if need be.


17 comments:

Heather said...

Spilt coffee and all, this story is wonderful and so are you. I think my life is just one spilt coffee and missing button after the next, but c'est la vie. Despite our best efforts, I think we're all missing a few buttons.

(Which is pretty refreshing, if you ask me)

k8te said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
k8te said...

haha i love this, it sounds totally like something i would do. and reminds me of the carrie bradshaw thing about "i will never be a woman who can wear white and not spill"...but what fun is wearing white anyways..life is messy!

Shawnee said...

lovely words, as always. funny how life puts you into place sometimes - and a chuckle escapes, as if I could be surprised.

leah. said...

such a good story.. i think that most of us can recall such a day, such a cup of coffee... and it is true what you said about a funk... i think all those things do lead to it passing. those good things.

Maria Costa said...

I'm in love with everything you write. This explains my feelings about coffee, life, and New York so very, very well.

Chloe said...

I can totally empathise with rushing onto a train and being more than a little embarrassed... I was running late for a train into London and ran on just as the doors were beeping. Unable to stop myself, I almost ran into the opposite side of the train and dropped my bag (which was thankfully zipped and I'd had no time to grab a cup of coffee -- in hindsight, a small blessing in disguise). Unfortunately, I was forced to stay on the train for the best part of 45 minutes...

I think we need more stories like these in our lives. They're what makes life a little more interesting. Your story was just wonderful and your words so brilliant and eloquent (as always). Also, what you said about a passing funk is so true. Reading, live music, good food and all the rest certainly ease its passing, I'm sure.

Thanks for telling it like it is. I always love reading whatever you write.

Unknown said...

Great story! Life's ironies...

To add to this theme, coming from an accident prone individual:

While listening to my iPod (always in shuffle mode), Dick Dale came on with his song "Let's Go Trippin'" and so.

That's exactly what happened. Today was going really well, which meant this streak was to be upset. The toe of my shoe clipped the edge of the sidewalk, and I flew a little bit. Some Upstaters have that ability.

BREI said...

All I can say is at least you can laugh at it. I am one of the most accident prone people on the planet! My favorite story to tell is one summer school morning I was walking to class in flip flops when the entire Louisiana State University baseball team happened to be running by. I was so memorized (at least I think that was the problem) that I tripped on my flip flop and fell flat on the ground. Baseball team started clapping. (I will have you know that I can now say I have gotten applause from Major League baseball players because some of them went to play for the Cubs and Giants. Too bad it wasn't from anything good.) I try to remember that story every time I do something dumb and I tell myself nothing was as bad as that day. :)

Macy Young said...

Love this! And gorgeous photo. Every girl has those days.

xo, macy.
http://www.toastsandspills.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

That's a lovely story. I enjoyed reading it while sipping my cup of coffee and eating nuggets. :)

Regards,
Finn Felton
Kopi Luwak

Niken said...

every once in a while, that kind of thing just happen. no matter what day or who you are.ha. love this story Meg

*cho said...

I had the same thoughts about funks, how they just pass, and how something about going out (especially the rooftop bars part) and feeling on top of the world helps. Your blog post inspired me to write one of my own. Thanks.

http://cho28.blogspot.com/2013/03/the-wild-and-wily-ways-of-brunette.html

Mary said...

I love you, Meg.

Michelle said...

I love this post. I love it!

I also love your fake eyelash rom com idea. It reminds me of the original Yours, Mine, and Ours from the 60s. Have you seen it? Her fake eyelashes fall off in her coffee on a first date. It's hilarious, but I might like your idea better :)

Little Tree Vintage said...

haha, oh ive been there..the running to the subway making an ass out of myself bit..it's quite funny.

Blabbermouth said...

There is a Lucille Ball movie where she loses her fake eyelash while she is on a date!