I've moved! This page should automatically redirect in 5 seconds, but if it doesn't, then click here.

3.12.2012

skiing.







































it was spring break during my second year of college that i went and saw a life coach. depression had just hit and it was so dark and murky that i was grasping at anything that might help. i remember quite liking the women. her no-nonsense approach to certain things, her look-to-the-future attitude. one of the things i remember with startling clarity is that she had me list out the things i wanted in a life-partner. the idea was that if you were able to name the things you wanted than you were more likely to attract those things to you (energy and whatnot). there were three categories: deal-breakers, basics, and icing-on-the-cake.

i want a man who can ski well. that was my icing-on-the-cake, at least the one i remember.

here's what i have to say all these years later: i still want it. and it may not be such an icing-on-the-cake thing as a basic desire. and the good news (for me) is (1) that the majority of men who ski are extremely attractive and (2) the ratio of men to women on the mountain has to be something like 6:1.

all the men-gazing aside, there is just something about the mountains that centers me--reminds me of my size and place in this world, my own fragility, but mostly of that little seed of fearlessness i so seldom let out.

really must expose that to the sun more often.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

those photos are breathtaking. Skiing is amazing.

haley said...

Skiing is such a bonus for a guy! Or a guy who likes outdoor activities is always good :)

Anonymous said...

Aren't they amazing? The mountains I mean. Well, the men too, but I mainly want to comment on the mountains. I'm a transplant to the SLC area and just started working in one of the canyons. Every single day that I walk out of my "office" all I can do is stare at the mountain on the other side of the canyon in awe. The immediate next thought is always "I hope I never get used to this". I don't ever want to lose that feeling of being completely overwhelmed by size and majesty and inhospitability and beauty. I want that to stick with me every day.

Alex said...

Amen, my friend.

jorjiapeach said...

yes. where soul meets body. on the slopes.

Maria Larsen said...

God it's so beautiful there. I followed your pictures on instagram and became instantly jealous every time you posted.

Emily said...

Yes, yes. I feel that way in the mountains, too. A sense of insignificance that brings out a fearlessness. So interesting how that works. Amazing photos!

Jocelyn said...

I love all these photos and I have to agree, there's a sense of peace that accompanies the mountains for me :)

Erin said...

Breathtaking.

Rachel Upshaw said...

I always thought that being a good skier would be a dealbreaker characteristic for me. Until I met a man who was willing to learn to ski just to be able to keep up with me. Who traveled from Europe, no less, to be with me while I'm spending time in Colorado.

I'm sure your next chapter is waiting just around the corner. Enjoy NYC for me!

Lela said...

I was raised in the mountains - right in the very foothills where the Appalachain Trail raises it's spiney ridges to the sky. There is nothing like the smell of clear mountain air first thing in the morning - and a man who can appreciate THAT must be able to see the good in life. Sounds like a basic desire to me!!