I've moved! This page should automatically redirect in 5 seconds, but if it doesn't, then click here.

7.16.2009

things to do in nyc: check craigslist for missed connections


so, okay, actually...you can do this from anywhere. but log onto craigslist and under the personal section click on missed connections. 

i'm sure this exists in other cities as well, but it feels like such a part of new york lore. missed connections is a place where people post chance encounters hoping for a second chance--in some ways it's like a postsecret regarding like/infatuation/love with the hope of a response.

And inspired by the fleeting connections between total strangers artist Sophie Blackall is creating beautiful works of art...







what do you think? would you ever post a love note to a complete stranger?



10 comments:

Krissa said...

interesting...I have never heard of that before...I will have to check it out! Sounds neat!

Erin said...

I love this artwork!! It's so adorable. I read Missed Connections regularly, but my town isn't that big so some of our missed connections are from surrounding areas and almost all of them are overtly sexual.

jess said...

The whole idea of this is enchantingly romantic... But now I am curious as to whether or not these people meet and get their "happily ever after"??

I would take that chance- for sure!

Dia said...

This is beautiful! So romantic...*sigh*

The Rookie said...

The artwork only makes each story better. What a lovely piece of humanity.

Courtney said...

Sometimes when I'm on the phone with my friend we read missed connections to each other just for a laugh. Although utterly romantic, some are just downright ridiculous and entertaining. And I won't lie, sometimes I secretly hope one is written for me...

Aline said...

how sweet...I have never looked at that before!

emi. said...

just spent the most delightful half-hour reading missed connections in my city. now i can go to church feeling romantic (which is double delightful).

Magatha-May said...

wow, those illustrations are so beautiful

Diana said...

i've always thought they were adorable.