I've moved! This page should automatically redirect in 5 seconds, but if it doesn't, then click here.

1.08.2009

A storied evening, indeed.

So MJ (the usual roommate) has been away in D.C. working his cute little behind off in the broadway-bound revival of West Side Story. Last night it had it's out of town opening at the National Theatre (where it got its start in 1957) and I was invited to come down and take it all in. 

Having never seen West Side Story in any incarnation I was completely taken in by a story that is part of our cultural conscience and music that even non-musical theatre junkies like me know only too well. I was shocked by the shot that killed Tony. And deeply moved. And I can't wait to see it again in New York. 

Afterwards I was MJ's date for the party. I held his drink when needed and took pictures like it was my job, but in truth MJ didn't leave me for a second--he was the perfect gentleman, introducing me to everyone and making sure my glass was always full. I (who does not always thrive in these types of social settings) had a fantastic time and was wooed by the charisma and kindness of every single member of the cast. 



(that's my guy on the left)









Now for the mystery portion of my evening: Hugh Dancy was there. I know it was him. I know because I saw him head backstage right after the show (and bear in mind I had no vodka in the system to color my judgement). And he was there at the party. Right up until the bitter end when they turned the lights on and kicked us out. And he chatted with everyone (not me--I avoided like the plague (okay, well, the kind of plague that you hope nudges up against you) simply because I would have lost it). But the thing is no one else seemed to know who he was. And the girls he talked to said he spoke with a heavy American accent and said he was next off to work at the Alabama Shakespeare Festival. So much these girls believed this, that I started to doubt my judgement. But I know. It was him. And ladies, he really is as cute as you think he is.  Don't know who he is...google him...you'll know.

And now for the plug. Need to get to D.C., Boston, Philly? or to NY from one of those places? Take Bolt Bus lines. Every seat has a power outlet and the bus offers free wi-fi. Not to mention, it's only about $20 each way. I'm on the bus now, blogging away!

want a good review of the show? go here: Baltimore Sun

5 comments:

Krissa said...

Wow! That looks like fun! How awesome! I am jealous...someday I am going to head east to see all these shows!
You look so gorgeous!

naomi megan. said...

i'm glad the premier was a success. yay for mj! did you give him my love? i sure miss the boy.

and can i see you, tomorrow? i've missed you.

meg fee said...

yes please, tomorrow is great for me!

sheila said...

what a coincidence. I was on apple store/itunes debating how to spend my itunes gift card and I saw West Side Story in the .99 cent special rental section for the week. I wanted to desperately rent it, but my husband didn't feel like 'a musical'. I think I'll watch it today though.

I'm so jealous you saw it in real life.

naomi megan. said...

so...

a few things.
1. i miss you terribly.
2. when can i see you???
3. some things have come up. we need to talk very soon. my life is sort of...changing. in good ways.
4. you really look just fabulous in these photos. and so does mj.

xo