I've moved! This page should automatically redirect in 5 seconds, but if it doesn't, then click here.

5.04.2012

dating mojo. or something like that.



i have this pair of earrings. not terribly exciting. little diamond studs. but i love them. they're practical--all purpose things that for the most part i can sleep in without them poking me in the neck. 

when i dated a guy a few years ago, one of them came loose while we were making out (like teenagers) in the middle of his living room. i quickly took it out, put it on a counter, and forgot all about it--other more pressing matters were at hand.

and for the rest of our relationship i'd ask him to remember to bring the earring and he'd say that of course i'd be over again and i could get it then and on and on until we broke-up. 

and you know? i'd be damned if i didn't get that earring back. 

(remember? i posted about it here. it was awful). 

for a long time i knew exactly which stud it was that he had held onto for so long. somehow it seemed important. 

in the next few months i found an almost identical pair at a fraction of the cost and quickly snapped them up. 

and time moved on and i lost track of which earring he had had and then i lost one from the original pair and one from the backup pair and was left with two studs that didn't quite match, but still, i loved them.

they got me through a lot. 

and then this fall, i lost one of them in the crevice of another man's couch. and the same day, lost the other somewhere on his bedroom floor. and it became this thing--this joke between us. 

those earrings are still lost somewhere. and somehow i'm okay with that because it was never really about the earrings it was about the guy, and the guy from the fall, well, i was okay with him having my secrets and my earrings. i knew he'd protect both.

but just a few weeks ago, when i found the same pair in anthropolgie on sale, i snapped them up, because not only are they still great earrings, a girl's gotta get her mojo back. 

and more earrings means more stories. 

20 comments:

Mackenzie said...

i love how you string together a story, meg. this is fantastic and i have the same sort of relationship with wearing knee socks on dates (they always give me good luck!)

Erin said...

the way you link earrings to your relationship is inspiring and mysterious and just plain interesting. both of your stories here are great.

Spratt said...

Now I better understand your earlier post. This is great! I never think about things like that.
Any idea what guys do to get their dating mojo back? I am in desperate need of some...

Shawnee said...

this is fantastic. so awesome - made me smile:)

Anonymous said...

Again Meg, YES!
I'm super excited for more stories of the adventures those earrings take you on. (or you take them on!)

This made me smile a lot.

:)

Louise xo

aubry. said...

sounds like i need to get some of those earrings! anthro, here i come! mojo, follow follow me!

JCP Eats, www.jcpeats.com said...

Hmm... we all need a little dosage of the magic that these earrings hold!

ANH Style said...

I have a dress (pale orange, not revealing, just scalloped and summer-y and fits well) and it's like a guy-magnet. I'll have to find more excuses to wear it- I like the memories that are attached to it already.

stephanie said...

Unrelated to your earrings story (which I loved), but I stumbled on this print today and thought of you: http://www.flickr.com/photos/henrikpettersson/6097161705/ Thought you might enjoy it :) xo

Amanda Noel said...

I love this story. You write so well.

Meghan said...

I love the memories attached to things that seem so unimportant at the time. Just today instead of donating an old Gap backpack to a flea market, I kept it. It too had memories tied to it. Memories of seeing my then crush (now boyfriend) walking with his backpack to class back in our college days when we used to run into each other on campus. Tonight I was telling my dad the story as we were dropping off our donations and I decided to keep the backpack. Its meaning and old memories gave me butterflies and I decided that that was better than the $5 it would be sold for.

Maria Larsen said...

This really made me smile. I love how something so simple can bring on so many memories. Plus, they're pretty earrings.

Diana said...

I love this. And I have to say, I really want a pair of earrings now! I usually go without jewelry, in fact, I own nothing but a ring from my parents. But hell, after this post, I may go shopping for some of my very own story prompting pieces! I loved the post you linked to as well. I hope you have an amazing weekend, Meg!!

Kris said...

I admire (envy, even) your optimism when it comes to matters of the heart and finding your someday someone. Trying to get my mojo/optimism combo back as well.

Anonymous said...

I love that Nelly Furtado song:
Promiscuous Girl you're all alone
And Ian Turner the CEO of Petnet has a somewhat skewed mind (filthy) he assumes girls do things with peanut butter with their dogs.

jorjiapeach said...

hahhahhahhahhaaaaaaa.

Tara said...

I love this. You go, girl!

Little Tree Vintage said...

what a great story. what a great pair of earrings :)

Holly said...

LOVE THIS 2 MUCH!!

Rebecca said...

Haha, I totally feel you on the earring mojo. It's amazing what a good accessory can do.