I've moved! This page should automatically redirect in 5 seconds, but if it doesn't, then click here.

5.08.2011

for my mother.

communion


i was not the little girl who grew up knowing i'd one day be a mother.

i was not the little girl who imagined my own little girl.

but this remarkable thing happened. after gradation i spent some time taking care of some wee ones, and as i read them stories i heard my mother's voice in my own.

i am not afraid of motherhood.

i am not afraid to be a mother.

i with great patience and anticipation await the day.

i have every confidence that i will meet that holy phase of my life with surprising resiliency.

because i had the most remarkable of mothers. because she created the way. gifted me a road-map. instilled within me all i will ever need to know.

and for that, along with countless other things, i bow down to her today. i give her thanks. and wish her the happiest of mother's days.

i love you, mom.




(ps: remember that time in third grade i made you a mother's day book in school and on the front cover i glued your head on princess diana's body? it was that i thought you'd look really great in that blue dress she had on).

14 comments:

becky said...

First of all: you look SO much like your mum! Oh, it's lovely.

Secondly: what lovely words. It's amazing to know that you are so confident about motherhood---and reassuring, really, because I feel the same. I know that whilst I will never be as good at many of the things I want to do---in motherhood, I will succeed. There's an instinct I can't quite kick and never want to---an instinct to take care and nurture and love. And I am fully prepared for the pitfalls---of which I am sure there will be many---but I know that being a mother is one of the things I am destined to do, and to do well.

Charles T. said...

What a lovely, and humbling sentiment. Thank you.

Charles T. said...

I guess I was signed in as your dad. Sorry. It's my thanks I wanted to convey.

communikate. said...

I love this photo!! Everyone looks so happy!

You've echoed my thoughts on wanting to be a mom, funny how it changes the older you get.

sarah nicole said...

I love this : )

Happy Mother's Day to your beautiful mama!

xo,

Sarah

magdalena viktoria said...

:) so sweet

I'm the same: I'm not afraid (anymore). It will come with time and patience.

Swirls of Happy said...

Loved. This. Fabulous post.

dull boy said...

happy mothers day charles

Jenni Austria Germany said...

ah hhahahaha i love love love the ps.

and this sentence: i have every confidence that i will meet that holy phase of my life with surprising resiliency.

viktorija said...

Beautiful. And such a great reminder. I'm not a mom, but hope to be one day. Can't say the thought hasn't scare the heebie jeebies out of me, but my mom is such a strong, awesome woman...why can't I be too?

jenny said...

oh goodness friend... your mother is blessed this day!! for sure! and she must have been one heck of a Momma.

Platypodian said...

That is so sweet. Mothers are special, that is for sure!

Anonymous said...

What a gorgeous pic! You look absolutely cherubic.....your mom is simply lovely. Looks like she needs a medal... your brother looks the mischievous type! It's a scary thought being a parent, because it's a lot of hard work.....and someone i.e. me, has gotta act like the grown up then. This was a great post!

Autumn said...

I love this. I always wanted to be married and although I know I will get ginormously baby hungry and have a brood someday, it hasn't hit yet. I love what you said about being a mother :)