I've moved! This page should automatically redirect in 5 seconds, but if it doesn't, then click here.

12.08.2010

making a home from a room.

this morning i woke early.

knowing the wee hours were the only ones i could claim as my own today i was determined to enjoy them.  so i slipped out of bed despite exhaustion, brewed the customary cup of coffee, and retreated to my room where i ever so slightly cracked the window--oh for a light breeze to combat that unruly, but always powerful radiator!

i made the bed, lit the warm gingerbread candle i got just before thanksgiving when i feared i was going to need extra help getting into the christmas spirit, and then returned to the kitchen to pour the freshly-brewed coffee. back in my room, i set the mug on the window ledge and plopped into my reading chair.

peace. silence. stillness.

i looked around.

from this little corner my bookshelf looms tall. i see the many books and pictures and think to myself that if my life came down to two things these might just be it--books and pictures. which really means that my life--as of yet--comes down to one thing: stories.

directly diagonal is my worn, black desk. the mirror sits on it, leaning against the wall--it fell the day before i left for colorado and i've yet to put it back. in fact, i might just leave it there. i like it. perched atop is a strung, exposed time-capsule: my coffee filter pom-poms, childhood photos, birthday cards and the like.

next to my bed is the humidifier i finally broke down and got when i was sick for the fourth time this year. it is lovely. its cool breeze lulls me to sleep at night, nourishes my skin and throat--compensates for what that aforementioned radiator takes away.

i look next to me: my mug sits on the windowsill. the steam and winter wind mingle in dance. it is beautiful, lovely to watch, and i have the though that this can't be good for the coffee--making it cold--but it's such a miraculous little sight to behold that i can't bring myself to move it. beauty trumps taste today.

to be continued...

19 comments:

Jessica said...

This is a beautiful post! Thank you.

Megan said...

loved this :)

Ashley said...

Simply beautiful. I love the way you describe things. It's so effortless. I wish my words came out so..so..perfect! =)

I'm looking forward to the day that you publish a book and I get to tell people that I read your early stuff! hehe

ruthpclark said...

Ah yes! I, too, woke early this morning to revel in solitude. I'm afraid my morning didn't seem as glorious as yours, though--it's something I'm working on.

Beautiful writing!

nicole mountz said...

you're amazing, really. every time my google reader pops up with a post by you my heart jumps a little. thank you:)

AbbieBabble said...

What Nicole said.

Also on a much more menial note: I had completely forgotten about humidifiers. I think I might need to buy one ASAP.

Anonymous said...

i love your descriptive posts. they always leave me feeling like i can breathe a little easier, like there is a little more space in my chest, or something. after reading this post, i realized why (beyond the fact that you're a great writer, of course). i think it's because of your sense of place. i appreciate how you situate yourself in the world around you because it's something i do to. think about place as a way of thinking about myself, that is.

Jillian said...

really beautiful. you have such a way with words...

Alexa said...

Beautifully written. Your words call to mind a very comforting image and for that, I'm grateful.

Libby said...

lovely post. I`m crazy about your new header!

Anne-Marie said...

Your words make me feel relaxed, like it's me sinking in to that chair. I love life's small details.

Ellie said...

I am also finding it difficult to get into the festive spirit, perhaps a gingerbread candle is what I need... Gorgeous post.

Taylor said...

mmm, i feel like i'm there. maybe because it sounds so similar to my mornings? well done, dear.

Kaylia Payne said...

That's a really lovely post. I love how you can find beauty in the simple everyday things. It's really inspiring, and makes me grateful for what I too have.

Shorty said...

This is SO inspiring. At the moment, I wish I was you. Instead I'll be going home soon and... maybe I'll attempt to have my own "moment." :)

jackiek said...

i love your writing... it seems to just flow. this makes me long for my sunday morning routine.

Anonymous said...

i wonder if you can get a humidifier that has a coffee cup warmer....i think i could be on a winner there..

Ramona said...

sounds like a beautiful morning. Thanks for the wonderful description!

Mackenzie said...

gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous! you consistently amaze me with your words.