I've moved! This page should automatically redirect in 5 seconds, but if it doesn't, then click here.

12.18.2010

the astor turret

arthur ross turret

place of peace in nyc

on the fourth floor of the american museum of natural history, behind the dinosaurs (think of it: dinosaurs!) is the astor turret...arguably my favorite place in all the city. 
full of light and laughing children it is a place of such peace and simplicity. a place for quiet thought. an escape overlooking central park.
a place i might one day take my own children (think of it: my own children!). might be some time before that last thing happens...

11 comments:

Mackenzie said...

looks so cosy, and peaceful, and lovely! ah?! and it overlooks central pak?! you gotta be kidding me.

Shorty said...

What is the purpose of this place? It is beautiful!

Jenni Austria Germany said...

just another one of your posts that makes me want to go to NYC. now.

Dee Paulino said...

One more reason to love NYC. This place looks so relaxing

Larissa said...

I would like to go to that museum!

Kelly said...

looks like such a peaceful place.

Laura Marie said...

so much sun! and what a view! (my recipe for happiness.)

Chelsea said...

that sounds like a lovely place for peace and sweet solitude, solitude with children laughing.....

;)

Jay said...

There is something very calming about clean and simple lines like this. I love it!! And the view?? No words :)

BrigittaR said...

You know, I recently went to nyc for the first time. On my list was this place but as the week wore on and the city wore me out it slipped further down the list of things to do. With this post you've inspired me to 'must see' this museum on my next visit. thanks! happy holidays x

becky said...

This post reminds me so much of myself. I have spots in my city that I love to sit in but what I love more is forgetting where I love only for it to hit me, full of passion and surprise. There is a rush in its feeling; a wave of absolute awe and beauty that translates to the rest of the things around it. This happened the other day, at the train station. It is not a very glamorous station - it is dark, it is grey, its floor is muddy tiled - but there, as you walked in, was The Salvation Army band. It stunned me.

I also imagine places I will take my children-- and of the things we will do together. I will cover my walls in blank wallpaper only to have a day of finger-painting on a grand scale.