I've moved! This page should automatically redirect in 5 seconds, but if it doesn't, then click here.

11.07.2010

montclair for the weekend. dreaming of a life.

new york became too much for me this week. it often does, but something about this week did me in. so i headed to montclair, nj (just twenty minutes from the city by bus) for a home-cooked meal, a real look at some fall foliage, and family time.

montclair

spider tree

trees on fire

halloween

sweedish sugar cake

every time i get off the bus i breathe a little easier. the air is inevitably cooler and fresher and the tree-lined-streets sing me song after song as my feet crunch their way to my aunt and uncle's home. it is a town made for halloween decorations and thanksgiving turkey platters as much as for summer evenings and pick-up baseball games. i love it more each time i go. and i dream of living there. raising a family there. it is respite that speaks to the very recesses of my soul.


1. along the path from the bus to my family's home. 
2. the foliage in front of this house is always overwhelming. 
3. trees on fire.
4. i couldn't get over the halloween directions.
5. the sweedish sugar cake my aunt made to celebrate my birthday. delightful, in every possible way. (i had two mammoth slices). 


(i like the way olivia rae details her pictures with numbers, so i am indeed following her lead in this format). 

14 comments:

ilene @ muchloveilly said...

love the shots of the trees changing colors. yay for autumn!

AbbieBabble said...

Isn't it amazing how restorative it is to eat a home-cooked meal and spend time with "real" grownups? Not to mention, to take pictures like that- they're stunning!

Brittan said...

those pictures are stunningly beautiful. as liz lemon would say, "i want to go to there."

Unknown said...

OH the colors!

also, i'd like to say that i really appreciate the 30 rock reference in the comment above mine.

hope you are having a lovely and healthy weekend, my dear.

Maureen said...

gorgeous! the leaves most definitely do not look like that here! glad you have such a beautiful place to get away.

Micaela said...

"every time i get off the bus i breathe a little easier"

that's exactly how i feel after getting off the plane in Texas.

there's something about home/family that refreshes your soul.

mm i want a piece!!! x

jill said...

looks wonderful!

Taylor said...

thanks for the kind wishes, friend. montclair sounds quite divine and those trees are doing ME in! :)

Taylor said...

thanks for the kind wishes, friend. montclair sounds quite divine and those trees are doing ME in! :)

Marisa said...

The photos are great... and I know just the feeling. I have THAT place.

s|davis said...

Oh my gawd those homes are gorgeous! ;)

Courtney said...

oooh I love that home in the second photo, looks like a good place for a cup of tea and a book.

Courtney said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Molly said...

I love this post. It's making me excited for the holidays - when my whole family will be together. And boy! that cake looks like it was delicious!