I've moved! This page should automatically redirect in 5 seconds, but if it doesn't, then click here.

5.31.2010

breath, panic, girl-time, and ice cream.


this morning i begrudgingly got out of bed.
i trudged over the hill that now separates my apartment from the corner store.

i was halfway up the hill when i realized i wasn't breathing.
no, i don't mean i was breathing heavily.
i mean i was actually holding my breath.

you see, i am leaving new york for three months in exactly two weeks. by the time i return i'll be just about two weeks from turning twenty-five. (oh, the symmetry).

reality is setting in. and breath is leaving my body far too quickly, not to return.

i have an unenviable to-do list to conquer today:
and on and on...

these are things i could (should) have been doing all weekend.
{instead i sat in bed reading. and while sitting in bed reading is the most noble and glorious of all past times, even it has a time and a place. its time and place being somewhere at the end of my to-do list (meaning what i should do once all other things are accomplished)}.

last night though, i paused the panic button and met up with my girlfriend (and something of a soul-mate) alisha (the girl behind the whole doppelgaenger saga) and we pranced around the lower east side, making time for ice cream.

because, let's be honest, there is always time--always--for ice cream.

i got all things bad for me, while alisha actually got fruit in hers. oh man, i will never be the girl that puts fruit in her ice cream. (at home yes, but out on the town? no way).




so (if it's your thing) make some time for ice cream on this holiday.

i will be here at my desk, in my room, meticulously checking off all the things on my never-ending-to-do-list, breathing all the while (i hope).

13 comments:

Unknown said...

there should never be any apology for a bowl of ice cream.
so says i.

p.s. lovely cardigan.

http://wellhellotherelover.blogspot.com

thobeka said...

1st thought: wow, she's young for such a mature writer

2nd thought: wait, i'm 25! :)

happy cleaning!

Anonymous said...

hope you get it all done. And the reality thing is in for me too.. I'm 16! I know that is young-- but it does not seem like I am old enough to have my driving permit! Good luck today!

Taylor said...

did you know the English words breath, wind and spirit are all versions of the same word in Hebrew? don't let the breath, wind or spirit out of you!

iheartkiwi said...

life is too short to put fruit in your ice cream :) live it up sister!

good luck with your to-do list. i love crossing things off once i finish them. it makes me feel so accomplished!

Claire Kiefer said...

yours sounds much more delicious ;)

Shanley said...

I got fat free frozen yogurt the other night, with nuts...and I thought, "Who am I!?"

Claudia said...

That's my word for the day: there's always time for an ice-cream - you are SOOOOO right!

McKayJoice said...

Pranced around making time for ice cream? . . . I love that.

Your blog is wonderful, thanks for your words.

ALFIE said...

have no worries---your deadlines will be met. and everything will be just as it should be.

the ice cream was a perfect idea.

now. onto the most important of questions. what were you reading in bed all weekend :)

Anna said...

yay for ice cream!

I think I went to the Shake Shack two times last week... I can feel the summer heat rolling in, and that's just one more excuse for the yummy treat!

Jennifer M. said...

I always seem to get my best reading/movie-watching/game-playing done when I have a gigantic to-do list hovering over my head. ;)

Roxy Te said...

does Strawberry sorbet count? And sometimes I find myself not breathing too...strange..anxiety?