I've moved! This page should automatically redirect in 5 seconds, but if it doesn't, then click here.

4.20.2009

fizzy water and twizzlers

It's raining here in New York. Raining so, that suddenly--for the first time--the phrase cats and dogs seems perfectly apt, but don't ask me what it means.

Edith Piaf is playing in the background (as she must when it rains). And I'm drinking diet coke (heretofore known as fizzy water) and eating twizzlers as I recover from a beast of a chest cold (hence my unusually prolonged blog world absence). This chest cold--cough and all (and I never get a cough) is most likely punishment for weathering the entire (yes the entire) winter season in near perfect health. It is also a product of allergies, the present day Greek mythological curse. Present day Greek mythological curse, you ask? Remember the story of Tantalus (that's okay, I didn't either and it took me a good thirty minutes of searching the web to find the following)... Well he chopped up his son and attempted to serve him to the Gods,

"Tantalus's punishment, now proverbial for temptation without satisfaction (the source of the English word "tantalizing"[10]), was to stand in a pool of water beneath a fruit tree with low branches. Whenever he reached for the fruit, the branches raised his intended meal from his grasp. Whenever he bent down to get a drink, the water receded before he could get any (Wikipedia)." 

My point is, the Gods gave us Spring to behold in all it's glory and yet it's near impossible to do (to behold) through bleary eyes and a running nose--it's like reaching down to drink the water and finding it gone.

It took me so long to find the Tantalus story that I've completely forgotten the original idea for this post. 

But.

This much I'll say (in the spirit of the rain),

I have been dreaming of English countrysides as of late. I love the rain. Desperately, I love it. The sound of it, the mystery. It's always struck me as a cloak for magic in the world. But rain in New York can be trying. Travel here undoubtedly involves being outside. No car to garage to house scenarios. And showing up to auditions or the work-place waterlogged is not always ideal. But in the English countryside, in the warmth of a house, where the doors and windows would stay open all day long (no threat of burglars or mosquitos) and the cool drops would stain the edge of the stone floors...can you imagine? Giant windows, thrust open. Shutters. And big doors. Big, wooden doors. Extra wide--an invitation to precipitation. Shorts and Wellies, a uniform of choice. And thunder, the rolling music of Mother Nature (a thing so rare in New York that tonight my roommate confused a glorious few thunder rolls for the fighting of our landlords overhead, a much more commonplace occurrence). Mmmm, a girl can dream.




And in other news when I was laid up in bed (the cold) I wandered over to facebook's networked blogs and attempted to register this little blogspot lover of mine. I found it had already been done. By an anonymous facebook follower. Well, thank you anonymous facebook follower. You're description of my blog as "real-life" and "writing" seems spot-on and tickled my flattery-bone to no end. So if facebook is anyone else's thing and you wish to follow me there, I'm adding a link to the side. Plus, I need nine people to confirm that I am in fact the writer of this blog so if you could do that, many thanks would be owed. 



Photos found on {this is glamorous} (slightly altered).

16 comments:

Unknown said...

Here's to getting yourself all confirmed! Love reading about all the New York-iness :)

Feel better!

Wondering Helen said...

Ahh, yes, rain *is* good. Falling asleep to it is best. Enjoy and stay cozy.

Elizabeth Marie said...

Stay warm and cozy...and girl, you are SO RIGHT about what you said...and trust me, you're not the first to tell me that. haha. Here's to my next HOTTIE!! xoxo

You're the best, woman. <3

Dia said...

Oh, English countryside...Green misty moors...Lovely!

M. Eileen said...

lovely post as always!

you should some day try to hike the south down ways in England. its a lovely walk that takes you throughout the english countryside, through little villages and hamlets and completes at the seven sisters.

M. Eileen said...

lovely post as always!

you should some day try to hike the south down ways in England. its a lovely walk that takes you throughout the english countryside, through little villages and hamlets and completes at the seven sisters.

Sarah said...

I adore the rain too. My parents live in the country so I get too live what you are describing. It is like a dream. You spoke of it perfectly.

I am sure New York is amazing with the magic rain too. I have never been..Someday.

Sara said...

I have also been dreaming of little stone cottages in the English countryside. I was so pleased to see your pictures of just that. Hope you feel better!

CC. said...

ok, so im not sure if im right, but i think raining cats and dogs comes from ENGLAND (yes, ironic considering your post) when they had straw roofs. the animals would be o the roofs and when it started to rain they would literally fall through the ceiling because the straw would sag in the rain. that is what my 10th grade history teacher told us. a little zinger if i may.

im a dreamer too....someday we´ll get there right?!

jess said...

I love the smell of rain.. especially in the mountains.. nothing better than freshly rained on pine trees-seriously!!

And your dream of the english countryside... I love the little cottage in "the holiday" where cameron diaz stays and falls hopelessly in love with jude law! wouldn't that be perfect england and a hot guy?!?

sheila said...

I like rain too {as well as the sun}.
I love the smell of the first droplets on a hot street, when you can see the rain drops vaporizing. it happens in Hawaii a lot. Then 10 minutes later it sunny again.

A Sunday Kind Of Love said...

I too often dream of the English Countryside when it is storming (and I am trudging the 20 minutes up to school in my suede shoes which are my "rainboots"). Maybe it is because I have seen too much Masterpiece Theatre, but it does seem idyllic, even in a storm! I like to imagine myself in an empire gown by the fireplace, with "my mr.knightly" by my side.
If only rain in Switzerland were as charming!

Kelsey M. said...

I love your descriptions of the rain. I'm also a huge huge fan of the rain myself. Mmmm...to live in England would be magical.

Aline said...

Oh how I wish I lived in the English countryside as well...it is near 100 here in California today...so much for Spring

Thao said...

I love rain, too! Your English countryside fantasy sounds amazing. Feel better and enjoy your rainy day!

Christiana said...

This is almost cruel to tell you all, but I feel it must be shared. I live in the English countryside (north west) and while some rainy days in the spring are like that - the ones in the winter aren't as lovely an experience. That said, my weather fantasies include sun and palm trees. Or just sun really, I'm not too picky.

It's cold and dark, the homes aren't insulated quite like they are in the US so the cold creeps in everywhere right into your bones. It's so gray it feels like you'll never know what blue sky is ever again. That's only winter though, in the spring time it's lovely and the lambs are beyond adorable.

So yes, keep thinking of the English countryside in the Spring (but avoid it in the winter). <3