I've moved! This page should automatically redirect in 5 seconds, but if it doesn't, then click here.

11.15.2008

Four Simple Rules


If I were to write a how-to book on overcoming depression, it would boil down to four simple rules.

1. eat well (eat what you like, when you like, with a focus on nourishing the body)

2. get on a regular sleep schedule (go to bed at a reasonable hour and get up at a reasonable hour--preferably around the same time each morning and evening)

3. exercise (not for vanity's sake, but because the body likes it, craves it, desires to move and dance and jump around--the body wants to be challenged)

4. and finally...always have a good book to read

Tonight, after an absolutely lovely dinner with my oh-so-generous aunt and uncle, at what's quickly becoming one of my favorite Upper West Side haunts, good enough to eat, I found myself with nothing to do.


see I'll surprise you all with a picture every once in a while, when you least expect it

Saturday night in Manhattan, the world was my oyster, anything was possible. Or was it? I've recently come to the realization that all my gal pals are in committed relationships. This means no single strumpets to dance the night away with in search of that oh-so-perfect--he's-the-one male to bring home to mom and dad. What's a girl to do? Hit up the bars by myself? I don't think so. I have pride enough to know when to hide away in my oh-it-needs-to-be-cleaned New York apartment. 

I weighed my options. I could...watch this week's Grey's Anatomy a second time, since the show is finally getting good again, and now I get to drool (quite unexpectedly mind you) over Christina's new love interest, Dr. Owen Hunt. Tangent alert: I used to think the most important thing on my love list (you know, the list where you enumerate the qualities of your perfect mate so that the universe can then bring him to you) was that he made me laugh and could laugh at himself. I now think this is a very close second to... manliness--I know, I know, manliness, what is that? I don't know how to describe it, but you know it when you see it, and you most certainly can feel it. I don't have time or patience any more to mess around with boys. Oh gosh, got way off topic there for a second...so I could watch Grey's, or hit up a movie. No, no, neither of those options was quite right. And then it hit me. Yes. I would got to Barnes and Noble and get the first book in the Twilight series. It was my turn to succumb to the teeth of a vampire. 

I got there, asked the sales associate where I might find said book and he pointed me towards the teen section--oh wait...no, no, teen section? A mighty blow. I was nothing, if not past the teen years. Right? Okay, so maybe I was just slightly embarrassed because this request in conjunction with the enormous black bow that was now pinning back my bangs  knocked me down a few pegs. But a good book is a good book and nothing to be ashamed of. So after a moment of lowering my reddened cheeks, I marched proudly to the teen section and in doing so honored that part of me that will always be the seventeen-year-old who spent her weekends curled up with the best company a girl can hope for (apart from Dr. Hunt)--a good book.

Life in New York can be hard. All the time.  Every day. And being twenty-three ain't no slice of pie. In fact, I think it might be harder than those storied teenage years. So a million times a day, I am forced to remind myself that this too shall pass. And a million times a day I am forced to make the active choice to pursue happiness.

This is all to say that, that choice is always easier when you're well rested with something to read and friends to share a lovely and indulgent meal with. Now, if I could only find my way to the gym.

7 comments:

naomi megan. said...

meg.

did you start it? are you obsessed yet?
sarah roberts and i already booked ourselves some movie tickets for monday the 24th to see it. i'm sure you'll have finished the book by then, and... if so... join us! i've been trying to get carolyn into them for sometime now, but you know... she's more sophisticated than i am and not ready to succumb to a teenage novel. you, on the other hand, i love you even more now!

call me. we gotta get together this week and... talk about vampires.

xo

Thomas Wentworth Hardy said...

Hi Meg,I read what you had to say about the Obama victory and I appreciate that it provided great hope for the future and change.I think the USA is the hardest Western country to live in because of the recent politics of hate and division.
I do not agree with the war in Iraq and I believe Bush is a war criminal.About overcoming depression,don't forget to reward yourself...Thanks Tom Hardy Australia

shilvia said...

oh dear meg, i truly understand how you feel...i'm having the same situation like yours too...all girls around me are attached and i'm the only one dancing around (in my room) by myself ;) oh well, blogging does help alot of filling my time nowadays...and i'm loving it!!! wonderful writing on this :)

Unknown said...

deeer meg.

i remember last year when i wanted to play with my friends + realised every single one was with their significant other that night. wah wahhh. i love my friends' boyfriends, but i am still not a fan of this feeling.

rawther than "teen," let us refer to these novels as belonging to the "young adult" section, because i can kind of say that i am still a young adult, right?

xoxo.v

meg fee said...

naomi,

how can I ever thank you enough for introducing me to the world of blogging?! and for being a daily inspiration.

thomas,

we'll bounce back, America I mean (I hope). me too, though (don't worry, I do treat myself!) Obama's victory is a true turning point and I'm looking forward to the future. Change is inevitable, but thank you so much for your kind words. I love Australia, was there for a wedding a few years ago and had the time of my life. MJ, my roommate (and sometimes blog inspiration) is from Queensland, so I'm sending love all the way to you down under!

shilvia,

if only there was some way for all us single gal bloggers to dance around. any ideas?

and valerie,
I'll see you monday, but you're so right about the young adult thing. not to mention since my archetype is a child, im in the clear!

Phoebe said...

Hey, Meg...
I work at Mr. Lube.
I, too, am feeling a SEVERE lack of single, FEMALE, friends. =(
Where do you find such people, anyway? Junior High? =P
I own the whole Twilight series, or, I did, before my little sister stole "Eclipse"...
I used to like it. Maybe I outgrew it.
Funny thing is, I'm still pretty much the seventeen-year-old who liked to curl up with a good book.
Unfortunate, really, because the movie's coming out soon.
They ruined it, of course.
Wow, my comment is almost as long as one of my blogs.
I've always had trouble keeping it short.
Anyway, I love your blog. I've read every single entry. I think. =)
You'd better keep writing...

shill said...

sweet meg, the single girl issue completely caught my attention!!! lucky you living in nyc ;D as for me, those spare times i have on my hand, are channeled towards my work work work... and curling up to a great book is a preference for me :) quirky and cool writing as always darling!!!